Day 17 - Marathon - Sanderson

 55mi








Slept pretty good last night. But when I woke up I got my fair share of condensation. Yes, the tent was soaking wet with condensation. Inside and out. I set my tent up on a very small slope. That slope did not help the condensation escape my tent.


I dried it down the best I could, but I was going to have to pack it up wet. Thankfully my sleeping bag didn't really get wet. Everything outside had condensation on as well. My bike was completely covered.


I was out of the RV park around 7:30. Little bit of tailwind today, and then a decent chunk of crosswind.


The real treat of today was that after the first 20 miles, it was pretty much straight downhill. Nothing crazy, just a nice steady downhill. I wasn't going crazy fast, but there was a lot of coasting today.


I was able to get into town before noon. There's no grocery store, just two gas stations. All the restaurants are closed. Very little going on. It's memorial Day, everyone needs some time off.


I'm staying at an RV park. Decent enough tent camping. No grass to place my stakes into, only artificial grass, so going to have to use rocks to hold down my lines. (I'm talking about setting up my tent by the way)


I got a lot of stuff done in camp today. Took a shower, washed all my clothes, dried out my tent trap, dried out my tent, aired out my sleeping bag, patched the holes in my sleeping mat, and put on frame protection stickers onto my bike. (Something I maybe should have done before I left on the trip)


Like I said before, there are two gas stations in town. One is fully loaded, with a lot of food and everything. The other is a little sketchy, but only a 30 second bike right away. The first one is over a mile away.


Plans for this evening: I'm going to head back to the first gas station and load up on food. And I mean load up! From the sounds of it, I will not have access for food for the next 90 mi. So I will be purchasing dinner for tonight, a snack for tonight, breakfast for tomorrow, food for the bike tomorrow, lunch for tomorrow, dinner for tomorrow, breakfast for 2 days from now, and food for the bike in 2 days from now. It's going to be a lot of pop tarts...


Other than that, I'm going to set up camp early tonight, and try to get an early start on tomorrow. Tomorrow is looking like headwind, and a lot of up and down.

Popular posts from this blog

Epilogue

Day 0 - Flight to San Diego

Day 2 - Jacumba Hot Springs to Holtville